New features included in this release
Parcel Type Management
The release notes refer to different sections of the application:
Back Office: Where Customer Service Representatives (CSR) create and edit orders, create accounts, review drivers, etc.
Dispatch Board: Where Dispatchers assign orders to drivers, get notifications for invalid orders, etc.
Auto-Dispatch: This section refers to the automated order assignment setup and its process.
Administration: This section is in the Back Office but refers to sections only an administrator will use like Settings and Pricing.
Customer Portal: Where account users log in to create orders, view their order history, enter a credit card, etc.
Tracking site: Where customers enter a tracking number like the order ID or a reference number to view the status of their order.
Account API: API provided to your accounts to create, update and get orders. For documentation, please follow this link:https://api.dispatchscience.com/
Tenant API: API provided to you to create orders for your accounts, retrieve invoices and change invoice status. For documentation, please follow this link: https://api.dispatchscience.com/
Parcel types are created from the Settings menu.
Each Parcel Type will have a name, a dimension and weight. The Parcel Type information is used to calculate the number of pieces and total weight extra fees.
Upon deployment, a customizable Parcel Type will be created automatically.
Create a Parcel Type
1) Open Parcel Type from Settings menu and click on Manage Parcel Types
2) In the Manage Parcel Types, click on Add New Parcel Type
3) Enter Parcel Type details and click on Save
Enter required unique ID
Enter required Name (EN)
Enter an optional Name (FR) in a second language
Select the System of measurement (metric or imperial) and this will filter the unit of length and set the the weight unit of measure.
Set if this Parcel Type is customizable. Setting a parcel type as customizable will allow the user, while creating or editing an order to change its dimension.
Select the unit of length (inches or feet in imperial and centimeters or meters in metric).
Enter the length, width and height.
Select if weight calculation is dimensional. Selecting a dimensional weight will calculate the minimum weight of a Parcel Type using the following calculation: (Length x Width x Height) / Dimensional Factor.
Example of dimensional factors using the imperial system are:
139 in3/lb = 12 lb/ft3, 166 in3/lb = 10.4 lb/ft3 - common for IATA shipments, 194 in3/lb = 8.9 lb/ft3 - common for domestic shipments
Examples of dimension factors using the metric system are: 5000 cm3/kg = 200 kg/m3, 6000 cm3/kg = 166.667 kg/m3
If Dimensional weight is selected, the dimensional factor will be enabled. Enter the dimensional factor in the system measurement (unit of weight in system measurement (lb or kg) / dimension unit of length3). The calculated minimum weight will be used when Parcel Type is selected in the order.
If Dimensional weight is not selected, enter an optional weight.
In both cases, the weight can be changed when the Parcel Type is used in an order. The maximum of the calculated minimum weight if parcel type is using dimensional weight or the weight entered when creating/editing the order will be used to calculate the total weight extra fee.
Enter a Total Unit Factor. The Total Unit Factor is the intelligent quantity of a Parcel Type used to calculate the Number of Pieces extra fee. Entered as 1, parcels will be calculated as 1 unit. Entered as 0.5, 2 parcels will be needed to count as 1 unit. This will allow you to give a weight to each Parcel Type, giving a higher or lower unit depending on the size of the item. A letter or a 10 in x 10 in x 10 in box may be worth 1 however, a 45 in x 25 in x 60 in box may be worth 2 units. If you do not charge a Number of Pieces extra fee, this field can be entered as 1.
Edit a Parcel Type
Parcel Types can be edited however, if a parcel type is used in an open order and the order is updated, the new parcel type information will be used.
1) Open Parcel Type from Settings menu and click on Manage Parcel Types.
2) In the list of Parcel Types, click on the Parcel Type ID to edit.
3) In Parcel Type details, all fields can be edited except for the ID.
3) Modify the information and click Save.
Delete a Parcel Type
Parcel Types can be deleted if not associated to a Parcel Type Schedule.
1) Open Parcel Type from Settings menu and click on Manage Parcel Types
2) In the list of Parcel Types, open the Parcel Type to delete by clicking on its ID.
3) In the Parcel Type details, click on Delete
4) Confirm the deletion. The Parcel Type will be deleted from the list of Parcel Types.
Note: If the Parcel Type is associated to a Schedule, an error message will be displayed and the Parcel Type will not be deleted:
Parcel Types Schedules
Once Parcel Types are created, they can be associated to one or more Parcel Type Schedule. A Parcel Type Schedule is associated to an Account. When an order is created, for/by an account user, the lowest ranked Parcel Type, in the Account associated Schedule, will be the one added by default to the order.
Upon deployment, a customizable Parcel Type was created and associated to a default Parcel Type Schedule. One default Parcel Type Schedule was created for each company. These default Parcel Type Schedules were assigned to every account.
You will be able to change this Parcel Type Schedule on the accounts once you create additional Schedules.
When a new company is created, a new default Parcel Type Schedule with the customizable Parcel Type will be created and associated to the new company. This default Parcel Type Schedule is editable and can be modified according to your needs.
Create a Parcel Type Schedule
1) Open Parcel Type from Settings menu and click on New
2) Select the company and enter the name
Note: If there is only one company setup in Dispatch Science, the company will not display.
3) The list of available Parcel Types will be displayed.
You can use the search field to filter the list (the list is filtered using the Id and both names. Simply clear the search to see all Parcel Types.
4) Select the Parcel Type to add to the Schedule by checking its checkbox. You can select multiple Parcel Types at the same time then click on .
5) The selected Parcel Types are moved to the selected list:
6) To remove a Parcel Type from the selection, click on its
Note: At least one Parcel Type must be selected.
7) Fill in the Rank for each Parcel Type.
Note: The smallest ranked Parcel Type will be the default Parcel Type associated to orders created through the API and the Import Orders and will be the Parcel Type selected by default on older orders and on new orders.
8) Once all the desired Parcel Types are selected and their ranks entered, click on Save.
9) To return to the Parcel Type schedule list, click on Parcel Type Schedules
Edit a Parcel Type Schedule
1) Open Parcel Type from Settings menu and click on a Parcel Type Schedule name to edit it.
2) Make the modification (adding, removing Parcel Types, changing the name of the Schedule, changing the Parcel Type rank) then click on Save.
Account Parcel Types Schedules
Upon deployment, a customizable Parcel Type was created and associated to a default Parcel Type Schedule. One default Tarcel Type Schedule was created for each company. These default Parcel Type Schedules were assigned to every account.
You can change this Parcel Type Schedule on the accounts once you create additional Schedules.
Change the Parcel Type Schedule on an Account
1) Click on Accounts menu then click on an Account from the Account List to edit it
2) In Account details, click Edit on the Order Options section
3) Select the Parcel Type Schedule from the Parcel Type Schedule drop-down field then click on Save.
Note: the list of Parcel Type Schedules will be filtered by the Account's company.